Senior Fire Safety Engineer
Fire safety for all. The scale and diversity of fire challenges facing some of the world’s most vulnerable communities are enormous. With 1 billion people living in informal settlements, almost 70 million people forcibly displaced annually, and 580,000 people experiencing homelessness in the US alone, there is no shortage of fire problems to tackle. And these numbers aren’t even capturing fire issues affecting citizens in more formal contexts – consider the 2017 Grenfell Tower fire incident, the 2019 Old Dhaka fire, and the 2022 Bronx apartment fire. Nor are they capturing the more general reality that 95% of fire deaths globally occur in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs), many with weak fire safety systems. Scalable impact is therefore the bottom line for Kindling.
Founded in 2020, Kindling is an emerging 501(c)(3) registered nonprofit organization with the mission to connect fire safety knowledge to local and global humanitarian and development efforts to reduce the unequal impact of fire on people, property and livelihoods in vulnerable communities around the world. We do this by supporting local stakeholders with interdisciplinary research, advocacy, education and training, and through community-based pilot projects. We create opportunities for international knowledge sharing and help bring lessons across cities, countries, contexts, and disciplines. For more information about Kindling, please visit our website (kindlingsafety.org).
Kindling is seeking a Senior Fire Safety Engineer to lead and contribute to on a wide variety of research and development
projects. Take advantage of this flexible, remote opportunity to join our growing impact-driven international team.
• Manage your own projects and multidisciplinary delivery teams to deliver quality fire safety solutions on time and on budget
• Assist with all technical aspects of projects, e.g., fire risk assessments, conceptual fire strategy development, community risk reduction planning, fire and smoke modelling, web crawling
• Conduct studies and analyses to determine the feasibility of various engineering approaches, and apply approaches and procedures to solve a wide range of fire research problems
• Exercises sound judgment in formulating, evaluating, and correlating broad engineering research concepts.
• Be responsible for fee proposals and grant applications, undertaking business development activities and establishing a network of colleagues in the fire industry, as well as in the humanitarian and development sectors
• Support research and pilot projects, education and training, and advocacy initiatives across Kindling
• Guide the analysis of unique problems and develops new and improved methodologies
• Technical report writing
• Literature reviews and other desktop related work
• Support stakeholder mapping and engagement, via interviews, focus group discussions, etc.
• Field work, including site/settlement surveys and community engagement
• Interdisciplinary working with diverse sociotechnical teams (engineering, physical and social sciences, art, humanities, etc.)
• Diligently prepare and meet submission timelines
• Establish and ensure front line representation of Kindling mission and professionalism
• Perform other duties as directed
• Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Protection, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering; advanced degree is a plus
• Several years’ experience in a fire engineering consultancy or similar environment
• Be chartered or close to achieving chartership (or equivalent, e.g., Professional Engineer’s license)
• Experience working in interdisciplinary and cross-regional teams; experience leading teams is a plus
• Experience working on fire safety solutions for diverse environments and across several jurisdictions
• Strong Project Management experience
• Experience in negotiations with local authorities and other key stakeholders
• Strong oral and written communication skills, with experience preparing publications, reports, grant applications and technical presentations, including typing and editing documents
• The ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, working to tight deadlines and juggling multiple demands
• Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, creative, curious, eager to learn
• Ability to work both independently with limited direction and collaboratively with a team.
• Self-starter, quick learner, and eager to contribute to the team’s efforts
• Proficient in Microsoft Office suite
• Experience working in the development and humanitarian sectors is a plus
• GIS and remote sensing experience is a plus
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Kindling before applying: kindlingsafety.org.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references by emailing email@example.com.
Kindling is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, age, veteran status, domestic partner status, medical condition or any other characteristic protected by law. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities.